Blog To Express

A blogosphere learning experience to express with blog

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

A "recycled teenager" learning to blog.

Jul 28, 2009

"Share-A-Story" Session at Bishan Community Library


Date: 28 July, 2009
Time: 7 pm to 8:30 pm
Venue: Bishan Community Library
5 Bishan Place # 01-01

The second "故事达人交流会 " (Share-A-Story Session in Mandarin) organised by the National Library Board. The first session was held at the same venue in April, 2009.

The following is an introduction to the "Share-A-Story" program by Evelyn Quek, Associate I. Reading Initiatives, National Library Board:

"We are pleased to share with you one of our reading initiatives - Share-A-Story (Mandarin session 故事达人交流会) is a storytelling club formed by NLB since March 2009. It aims to reach out to people who are interested in storytelling, be it teenagers, adults or seniors. We ignite their enthusiasm for storytelling and reading through a bi-monthly get-together session with activities such as storytelling and learning journeys with invited guest-storytellers and children's librarians. They share tips on good storytelling techniques and introduce interesting children's books for storytelling. With the joint interest in storytelling, we hope the members of the club will continue to infect good reading habits among our community at large".

节目表



The first part of the evening's program was presented by the Chinese Language students of Mr Ng Koon How ( 黄坤浩老师 ):

Crosstalk (Xiangsheng) by Taylor and James

Reading story of Chinese Myth "Chang E - A Lady on the Moon (the origin of Mid-Autumn Festival) by Elise, James and Laurel

Chorus " I and You" - A theme song of 2008 Beijing Olympics, by Aaron, Irene, Eugene, Elise, James and Laurel.

One of Mr Ng's students, Taylor Michael Maltz, hailed from Colorado, USA.

Taylor has been in Singapore for almost a year now and is a lecturer in Business Communication at the Ngee Ann Polytechnic. He reads, writes and speaks fluent Mandarin. Besides the personal coaching from 黄坤浩老师, Taylor also supplement his Chinese language learning from audio tapes and other Internet resources, including YouTube.

His interest in the Chinese langauge and culture dates back to his university days in the States. He spent about 3 months in China to gain greater exposure in the Chinese language. The taxi-drivers, shopkeepers and people he met in China were surprised that this "老外" could speak such fluent Mandarin!



Sent from my Treo 650

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Hi James

You have a rather interesting blog and I enjoy reading it. I particularly like your post describing people around you, like the recent one about your colleague who collect MRT single trip tickets.

The way you have written your blog made me want to know about your usage of computer more. Yeah plus the fact that you did say you were "A 'youngonce' computer and PDA nerd who enjoys sharing the wonders of the Internet with fellow netsurfers."

I am currently conducting a user research on baby boomers use of computing devices in Singapore, and I hope you would be able to share your insights.

If you don't mind I hope you can email me at lukester.goh@gmail.com.

Have a good day!

July 29, 2009 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Hi Mr Seah,

I have been following reading some of your post and I am impressed by the content you have on your blog. It gives a pretty good description of the people and the ever changing environment around us.
I particularly like the past few post with you talk about hobbies and the colleague who collects Single trip tickets.

I am currently conducting user research on baby boomers use of computing devices in Singapore, and I hope you would be able to help. I think your contribution would be vital to us, especially when you are “A 'youngonce' computer and PDA nerd who enjoys sharing the wonders of the Internet with fellow netsurfers.”

If you don't mind I hope you can email me at lukester.goh@gmail.com.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Have a good day!

July 29, 2009 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Thimbuktu said...

Thank you for your kind comments, Luke.

I am glad that you enjoyed reading my rambling in the blog. It is a source of encouragement to know that I am not the only person who reads what I blog :)

I blog to express and to share my views from a personal perspective.

The computer knowledge I have acquired decades ago in the days of DOS are now obsolete; and I'm having a hard time trying to catch up with the rapid advance of computer technology. I have so much to learn from my younger friends. As the Chinese saying goes: "活到老,学到老".

July 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home